Oatmeal Stout – the first ‘all grain’ brew

Well, the day has finally come. I’ve done two very successful extract brews so the time is right for a ‘proper’ beer. I say ‘proper’ – I’m using the Brew In A Bag method, which is not really ‘proper’ as such, but it’s a lot closer to ‘proper’ than using extract out of a can. I’ve got my brew kettle, I’ve got my grains, hops and I’ve borrowed a ‘Bayou Classic’ burner from a friend which I guess from the name is normally used to boil up big pots of crawdaddies in the swamp, but will boil a tub of water in no time at all by the looks of things.

Problem number one – I forgot to get untreated water. I swore after last time I was never going to use the filter jug again but I have no plastic bottles in the house and thus no way to get water from Speight’s tap to my house, so I have no choice but to sit there laboriously filling and refilling the jug. I don’t want to postpone as I only have the burner this weekend. Brew day is therefore delayed by 2hrs while I get the water ready. Bugger.

So, into the kettle goes my ‘hand crafted’ water and on goes the Saturn V rocket burner. It’s so loud I can’t actually hear my stereo properly! I couldn’t find a suitable false bottom for the kettle to protect bag from hot steel kettle base, so I’ve elected to suspend bag from the rafters and allow it to dangle in the water at a carefully measured height. This is slightly risky, I just hope the knot doesn’t slip because I don’t want to be struggling with hot wet string while 5Kg of steaming grain hangs off the end of it. Hope my boy scout training kicks in.

The target temperature of 156F was reached in about 10 minutes – I will definitely look at buying one of these burners myself, I had been planning to use the BBQ but this is so damn efficient it’s scary. The only drawback is that it doesn’t have automatic ignition – I have to kneel on the floor to get the match near the gas ring. Also, having the grain bag suspended in the pot by rope means I can’t have the lid on, so it’s going to be slightly more difficult to maintain the temperature, especially as the RamJet’s lowest setting is still FUCKING HOT.

Uncle Ben's boil in the bag beer

Brew in a bag setup

FFWD 1hr and we’re on for stage 2, which is raise the temperature by 8.2 deg and then blast it for a final 10 minutes. My candy making thermometer doesn’t go that fine-grained I’m afraid, it’s marked in 5 deg graduations so there is a fair bit of guesswork going on at this stage. Maybe I’ll invest in a digital thermometer next, this will have to do for now though.

Now the grainbag comes out and I’ve dumped it in the garden. Once it’s cooled down I’ll see if the chickens are interested in the contents – I seem to remember them turning their beaks up at a friend’s mash detritus before, and recently they’ve got a little picky when it comes to left over breakfast porridge so it’ll probably just end up in the compost.

25g of UK Northdown hops goes in at the 30 minute stage – I’ve knocked up a simple hop sock using some nylon mesh I used to press my cider apples, not altogether sure if it’s fine enough to completely contain the hop sludge though. No matter if some escapes though, I will be racking off to a secondary fermenter at some stage anyway. Mmmm, I love hops, what a fucking marvellous discovery by the ancients…

nb, I’m using Beersmith to do this brew – I just installed the 30 day trial because the recipe I’m following came from the beersmith website, and it wasn’t until I had already purchased all the ingredients that I noticed that all the instructions and steps and what have you are only available to you if you have the software. So far so good with Beersmith, it’s way more in depth and scientific than I need at this stage, but it’s damn useful, even if it’s just for the timer function!

** MID BREW UPDATE ** apparently I am not brewing in the basement again, because apparently the ‘entire house stinks of malt and shit’. It’s lucky I have a large covered porch area that will do for next time :-s

Next in is 25g of Cluster Hop, then a 15 minute race to the finish line. My tried and tested wort chiller works like a charm, and I get the liquid down to 24 deg in no more than about 20 minutes. I augmented its cooling power by carrying the pot over to a paddling pool full of cold water which really helps too. Then into the fermenter she goes, swiftly followed by 10g of pre-hydrated Mangrove Jack’s Workhorse Yeast. Then the whole shooting match gets shut in my new temperature controlled brew chamber (i.e. old fridge + heat mat + STC1000) and I’m outta here.

Actually, I have a fair bit of cleaning up to do, and it’s Sunday evening so although I don’t want to do it, better get it out of the way. One day, I’ll have staff to clean this shit up 😉

Anyway, here is a list of the ingredients:

  • 3.7Kg Pale Malt, 2 row (includes an extra 450g to make up for BIAB / newbie inefficiency)
  • 950g Flaked Oats (basically, breakfast oats, but I gave them a blast in the food processor)
  • 450g Crystal / Caramel Malt
  • 115g CaraPils
  • 115g Chocolate Malt
  • 115g Roasted Barley
  • 115g Black Malt
  • 25g UK Northern Hops
  • 25g Cascade Hops
  • 25g Fuggles Hops (for dry hopping)

3 thoughts on “Oatmeal Stout – the first ‘all grain’ brew

  1. Brew in a bag is the only way I brew. Totally proper in my opinion. Curious why you are having to mess with the suspending the grain bag while you heat? I have not had to deal with this much unless my temp drops during mash. Usually I can get away with covering the pot with some towels and never have to fire the burner with the bag in until mash out. Then I end up holding the bag up a bit until I hit mash out temps. Jealous of your fermentation chamber, I need to get one of those.


  2. I was surprised at how quickly the mash temperature dropped when I turned off the heat, so I had to keep firing up the burner every ten minutes or so to stay around 156. I will maybe use some towels or something to try and contain the heat next time but I need to get a decent thermometer with a separate probe so I can just leave it in there…


  3. Hmmm. After 7 days there was no sign of activity in the airlock. Bumholes. This is going to be a catastrophe of epic proportions (well, a whole day and $35 ingredients wasted anyway). I was wondering if the yeast was dud, maybe I pitched it too hot and killed it, maybe my new temperature sensor isn’t telling me the right temperature. It’s been sub-zero outside much of the week, so maybe it’s not really been 22 in there after all.

    However, after purchasing another sachet of yeast and getting ready to make another starter, I drew off 100ml and tested the SG, and it’s dropped from 1.030 to under 1.020 in a week. I can only conclude that fermentation has been going on in there after all, but there’s a leak somewhere in my fermenter lid or something, which the CO2 prefers to escape through rather than out of the airlock.

    Also, it smells de-fucking-licious, and tastes really quite promising – hope this turns out OK.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s